Chivalry is the “the sum of the ideal qualifications of a knight, including courtesy, generosity, valor, and dexterity in arms.”
Alright, hold your guns, fellas! I am not the one saying this, it is the “dictionary” definition of chivalry. Well, before I go any further, I have got to admit dictionaries are one of the greatest inventions of all time- they make everything sound oh-so-magnificent!
I know what you ladies out there are thinking right, chivalry, what a bloody joke, there ain’t no chivalry these days. Now, before you get lost in your bubble vision about every guy you want to slap for standing you up, not paying your bills, or perhaps making you carry their luggage- you have got to re-read that glorious dictionary definition once again!
There is nothing very “knightley” about knights! I know, we have all read all those beautiful fairy-tales about the courageous, handsome, courteous knights in shining armour (or in some cases the prince charmings) who come and rescue the pretty princess from an ivory tower. Speaking of which, I have always wondered why anyone would want to escape from an “ivory” tower, when they can live an entire life of luxury chipping away at the ivory. Ah well, such is love they say! In reality knights were actually very “pansy-ish” specimens who walked with even steps, with their arms flopping symmetrically around their waist and their backs straight. That was the charm in those days, you know!
So, now that is taken care of, lets see what constitutes the quintessencial chivalrous bloke:
- A guy who says “after you, ma’am!” while getting into a stuffy cab with copious amount of dirty black grease on one door handle, while the other door simply doesn’t work!
- A guy who pays your bill after a very romantic date- nevermind if he has to surreptiously count his every last penny to pay the bill!
- A guy carries who offers to carry (read: offers and definitely carries!)- and you thought he had dislocated his shoulder last month! How very gallant!
- A guy who understands you need to be complimented all the time, who realizes that you struggle to open a friggin water bottle and who comforts you when your false nail fell out right before you entered the party! Oopsy-daisy, the nail part HAS gotta suck and they told you it is good adhesive!
- Lastly, a “genuine” guy believes in love notes, chocolates and all that jazz! He believes that a “woman should be respected” and he takes him time. Oh well of course, the minute he laid his eyes on you, he knew you were the one!
Chivalry is a sham that makes us believe in something that doesn’t exist and in all likelihood never ever will! And, in all fairness if all men turned chivalrous, what would really be the point of dating someone in particular! They would be like swarms of bees, who buzz the same way!
I don’t know about you, but I would totally dig someone who is not one of those typical “charmers” and instead is unpredictable as it would mean I have more chances of getting surprised everytime I am with him! But then again, I’m one of those who likes to carry her own baggage!